5) Primary source analysis, 15%. 800-word essay due in the week of lecture 9. Choose one from the following three sources:
a) Mao Zedong, On the Correct Handling of Contradictions among the People (Speaking Notes), February 27, 1957, The Secret Speeches of Chairman Mao: From the Hundred Flowers to the Great Leap Forward, 131-189, on Canvas. Students who prefer to read the original Chinese version can see https://www.marxists.org/chinese/maozedong/marxist.org-chinese-mao- 19570227AA.htm.
b) Any propaganda poster from 1949 to 1978: https://chineseposters.net/gallery/theme- 11.php. You can also choose more than one poster if you think they are correlating and can facilitate your analysis.
c) Students who can read Chinese can also choose this cartoon: A Portrait of the Clowns (? ??, available on Canvas).
Your essay should include:
– The author and audience of the source. Analyze how the author and audiences identities affected its content.
– The context. When was this source produced? What was happening in China? How did the context shape the content of the source?
– Its content and goal. If you choose Maos text, identify its argument and analyze how this argument is made by citing examples from the source. If you choose poster or cartoon, identify what is (are) in the picture and how it is (they are) portrayed, then specify what the author wanted to imply.
– Beyond the source. Was the author successful in achieving his/her goal? Did the source have any immediate or long-term impact? Whom did it affect, if anybody?
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more